[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Fri Nov 5 12:39:28 CET 2010

> Am 20.10.2010 um 09:56 schrieb Patryk Benderz:
>
>> [cut]
>>> I will keep you updated.
>>>
>>> Nikolaus
>> Thanks for sharing this, do you have some photos of this board? Looking
>
> Here is the photo of a bare board as it came from the PCB factory:
>
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/DSC00627.jpg
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/DSC00628.jpg
>
> The next version of the board layout will add two Hirose DF40
> board-to-board connectors on the display side so that the GTA04
> can be mounted on a expansion board (e.g. for a different/larger
> display).
>
> A populated board will finally look similar to this one:
>
> 	http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/images/DSC00477.jpg
>
>> forward to hear more! :)
>
> As soon as we have something to share...

Ok,
here is some good and bad news...

Good news:

last week I got a board where some of the
basic power control chips are populated (except
the TPS65950 BGA). Mainly, the backlight
converter is operating.

This one works and after connecting a
LCD module, we could operate it as a
lamp :)

Yesterday I received the second board where we
did populate the TPS65950 (power controller).

The results of measurements are:
* the 32 kHz RTC clock is operating
* when inserting a battery, most voltages are
  available as expected

Bad news:

* we have a short circuit on the 1V8 rail

I have spent most of the night and this morning to
track this down. It appears to be a solder short circuit
under the TPS chip (a 0.4 mm pitch BGA).

So I am currently sitting at our SMD rework company
and looking over the shoulder of the CTO who has
a lot of experience. Unfortunately I can't make
photos.

We already have unsoldered the TPS chip (that needs
a really sophisticated machine) and the short has
disappeared.

The next step is to solder it back again and do the next tests.

If that works, i.e. we get all voltages from the power controller,
the 26 MHz oscillator should also start working.

If that is ok, the OMAP and the POP memory will be soldered.
Maybe we manage to get it today. Then, we can see if the CPU
is doing something.

Rene will upload some photos of the board and we will
post a link.

Nikolaus