Backup "batteries" installed

Gennady Kupava gb at bsdmn.com
Mon Nov 8 17:51:42 CET 2010

Hi, Benjamin and list

Yesterday i followed suggestion about capacitors and installed them.
Huge thanks for suggestion - one big annoyance fixed for me too! Now my
time is kept while i am replacing battery without any troubles, for far
i tested only few minutes of life without battery.

I did some measurements, that according to our pcf setup (qtmoko v28,
uboot), charge current is 200uA. According to my measurements with
multimeter capacitor were fully charged after 6 minutes. Also it may be
useful to note that self-discharge of capacitor is much higher than
li-ion battery and actually it is chaged only than our PMU is in Active
state (FR turned on or suspended). So it may discharge if it were laying
for a while _with_ main battery installed and then main battery removed
without turning on device.

I think also my story of finding capacitors may be helpful. Given that
digikey delivery for my country costs $120, i tryed some nearby shops
and internet in attempt to find this part without any luck. But it
turned out (from forums) that such capacitors are common in other phones
(like N70 and btw common reason to problems). So, i finally just walk to
nearby mobile repair service on nearby cheapest marketplace and bought 2
used capacitors from broken phones for $3. I left with feeling i payed
too much :)

Soldering were not really easy especially that after reading docs i
understood that part should be heated with extreme care, but i followed
suggestions, put it upside-down and cut some outputs.

Thanks and regards,
Gennady.