Someone is trying to patent Quickwriting

Alfa21-mobile freerunner at my.is.it
Tue Nov 16 11:07:51 CET 2010

I think the concept behind quickwriting is unrelated to the numbers of
zones but the way you use them to write.

http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/experiments/quikwriting/
"The basic conceit of Quikwriting is that you make a character by
moving your pen first out of, and then back into, a central resting
done. So drawing a character is sort of like drawing a flower petal.
Below is the very first demo I made for it"

btw, in this page I read also:
"Then several things happened. Microsoft got interested in it and
licensed it from NYU (thereby helping to support our research!)"

so, I think it's not free :P