New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau maxposedon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 18:38:40 CEST 2010

On 10/6/10, Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors at iki.fi> wrote:
> "Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau" <maxposedon at gmail.com> writes:
>> Similar about GPS. Quality of FR's GPS was much worse than in separate
>
> What do you mean by quality? Just TTFF? Together with rtklib you can
> get great precision.
Sorry, I don't have skills in GPS, I just see that FR have a problem
with getting fix, and expect even more problems with gps(and gsm) in
device, which wasn't designed to have nice wireless compatibility.
Having lower GSM signal level isn't a problem - usually its very nice
in cities. But gps in such conditions(in cities) can just become
useless.

One more note,I'm looking at "MiniMoko" just as *part* of full SmartBook.
I really love this device in complex, its nice when I can have *same
rootfs* in laptop, in phone, in tablet, in mobile tablet device. So,
when people say that MiniMoko have small screen - I don't care, I
would attach it in "SmartTablet" and have big screen. When I'll want
keyboard - I'll attach keyboard and use SmartBook.

This is reason, why (imho) GSM/3G Voice is very important, and GPS is
less important for such device - just because GPS could be attached in
tablet part. GPS is smth that you sometimes want to be "always on" and
this is reason, why I want separate device - to keep battery.

If somebody want use navigation from MiniBook, may be its time for
them look at cell-nav projects once more? (openbmap, opencell and so
on)

Maksim