community Digest, Vol 204, Issue 8

Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau maxposedon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 22:17:44 CEST 2010

Touchbook possible was a piece of crap. But new revision (Smartbook)
looks really better.
1. resistive screen + stylus => multitouch capacitive screen
2. detachable "core" with screen - MID
3. and if phone functionality will be added to MID, it will became
awesome device

It doesn't matter that it has "bad production quality", main thing -
it gives us idea, that it possible have *one/same* rootfs for all your
devices: notebook, "some"-pad, internet tabblet, phone. - no any
synchronization anymore!

As for commercial future:
I hope AI will be successfully with their Smartbook, I hope
openmoko-community will have success with OPTION GTM501. And I don't
see real problem for AI, just add connectors and space MID to easy
attach such/this gsm module. After this - its all up to customers.

As for any other openmoko-related phone initiative, looking at
smartbook, I'm asking this guys add 40pin connector[1]. If not its
hard, just usb+hdmi.

I know, its all about geek-world, but I hope market is big enough for
such or smilar to Smartbook products. Such modularity is awesome.

[1] http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector