[ANNOUNCE] qi-bootmenu-0.2

Marc Andre Tanner openmoko at brain-dump.org
Fri Oct 8 16:23:33 CEST 2010

Marco Trevisan (Treviño) schrieb:
> Il giorno mer, 06/10/2010 alle 21.55 +0200, Marc Andre Tanner ha
> scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I finally had some time to hack on qi-bootmenu the result is
>> a new 0.2 release
>
> Cool!
> However, why not using this partition policy:
>  - First partition used for both bootmenu kernel and rootfs
>  - Other partitions and NAND for the other distros...

The original idea was that it should be possible to swap the SD card
and the bootmenu should still be there and work as expected.
I therefore flash it into the NAND kernel partition. You can still
have a regular distro in the NAND rootfs partition. You just need
to place the distros kernel into the /boot folder as you would do
on a SD card.

Of course nothing prevents you from adding a bootmenu partition
to your SD card. The kernel doesn't care how it is started and
just runs its initramfs. The only 'problem' which I can think of
at the moment is, that it will present itself in the menu. So
you would have the possibility of a recursive bootmenu. This could
be taken care of by a parameter on the kernel command line which is
read by the initramfs.

Marc

--
  Marc Andre Tanner >< http://www.brain-dump.org/ >< GPG key: CF7D56C0