New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 9 18:15:52 CEST 2010

On Saturday 09 October 2010, Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2010/10/6 Edder <edder at tkwsping.nl>:
> > Will it support headphone, with a microphone?
>
> I think it's safe nowadays to just assume Bluetooth headphones, ie.
> not all devices need the extra plugs if something has to be
> sacrificed.

The 40 pin connector[1] has pins for headset left, right, mic and detect, so
it should support a headset connecting through this at least. There is also a
minijack socket that appears to be 3.5mm[2], but the spec[3] and pin
disposition suggest this may be audio out only. If so it's an odd choice as
there is a de fatcto standard for 4-pole minijacks for headphone and headset.

> 2010/10/6 giacomo 'giotti' mariani <giacomomariani at yahoo.it>:
> > Looks like it miss USB connectivity and I need SSH strongly!
>
> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
> devices (host mode)

USB is also on the 40-pin connector. Judging by the beagleboard, the OTG pins
wil give gadget or OTG support while the other port will give host mode. There
doesn't appear to be a 5V out pin though, so host mode may be unpowered.

Personally I would rather see a pair of usb ports than the micro-HDMI and the
barrel power connector, and make sure the headset connector is 4-pole with mic
support.

[1] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector
[2] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
[3] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_specs