New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 17:27:08 CEST 2010

On Saturday 09 October 2010, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:
>   On 10/09/2010 06:15 PM, Al Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it's safe nowadays to just assume Bluetooth headphones, ie.
> >> not all devices need the extra plugs if something has to be
> >> sacrificed.
> >
> > The 40 pin connector[1] has pins for headset left, right, mic and detect,
> > so it should support a headset connecting through this at least. There
> > is also a minijack socket that appears to be 3.5mm[2], but the spec[3]
> > and pin disposition suggest this may be audio out only. If so it's an
> > odd choice as there is a de fatcto standard for 4-pole minijacks for
> > headphone and headset.

> >> Well SSH over Bluetooth personal area network works just fine, but
> >> indeed I'd also like USB port for charging and connecting other
> >> devices (host mode)
> >
> > USB is also on the 40-pin connector. Judging by the beagleboard, the OTG
> > pins wil give gadget or OTG support while the other port will give host
> > mode. There doesn't appear to be a 5V out pin though, so host mode may
> > be unpowered.
> >
> > Personally I would rather see a pair of usb ports than the micro-HDMI and
> > the barrel power connector, and make sure the headset connector is
> > 4-pole with mic support.
> >
> > [1] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/40-pin_connector
> > [2] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/MID_board
> > [3] http://alwaysinnovating.com/wiki/index.php/Smart_Book_specs

> Interesting notes ! I add them to the Do/Don't Do list.

Where is this list?

> I just answerd about a USB adapter (pluged into the 40pins). Perhaphs a
> multiport adapter, plugged in the 40pins, but with a 'U' form factor, so
> the wires will be parallel to the phone and behind.
>
> What about that ?

Add some fold out legs and you have a docking station in the same unit. It's
certainly neater than an octopus cable, or multiple adapters.

In another post I suggested putting the 3G module, gps, pressure and ambient
light sensors, magnetometer and gyro plus connectors in a small clip on module
using the 40 pin connector. That makes phone and navigation hardware an option
for those that want it without requiring AI to change their existing design,
or force the extra expense on those that don't want it. The moko nav board v2
already shows the sensor circuit - 3.3v supply and i2c interface as available
on the 40pin connector. There's a serial port for GPS too, which just leaves
3G, and perhaps some level shifting for the interfaces.