New Phone Project (MiniMoko) : Which functionalities ?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 10 19:22:14 CEST 2010

On Sunday 10 October 2010, Maksim 'max_posedon' Melnikau wrote:
> Looks like we have 2 different opinions here:
> 1. attach-all-possible-staff-to-MID add new holes new connectors and
> so on, e.g. people "dreams" about open extra-cool phone. I'm a bit
> confused by such unrealistic direction of developing MiniMoko, and it
> will require at least 1-2 years.

Probably true, but a nice long term target if AI want to make such a device. I
_really_ want to see a phone with a daylight readable display!

> 2. Use already created MiniBook, just add gsm/3g board inside. IMHO,
> more realistic idea and definitely require less efforts.

Certainly, space permitting. There may be enough space for navigation sensors
too. They are easier to add than the 3G module, and have a similarly low
requirement for case mods.

> And one more note: attaching anything via external 40pin port, will
> make device impossible to attach to Smartbook.

The MiniBook can be connected as normal after removing the module. We could
design the module so that it can connect everything via USB, in which case the
module could dock to one of the USB connections available in the SmartBook.