qtmoko v28

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Wed Oct 20 11:12:24 CEST 2010

Hi,
there is now new v28 release of qtmoko ready for downloading flashing and
testing. You can download it from our sourceforge page under "Experimental"
folder [1].

QtMoko is distribution for Neo Freerunner based on debian+qtopia. For more
info please check [2] [3].

This new release is based on 2.6.34 linux kernel. There are some noticable
changes since v27:

- switched from jffs2 to ubifs for better speed and performance
- qi with ubifs support and faster glamo timings (gena2x + ghislain)
- QX has it's own window manager
- QX can use qtmoko virtual keyboard
- removed qx_helper program hack
- fixed wifi bind/unbind (power on/off) devtool script (thanks to lindi)
- using dropbear instead of openssh-server
- vibrator and leds now work (lindi)
- updated omhacks (lindi)
- resume reason sysfs node is back (lindi)

Ubifs seems to have better performance. I didnt have time to do any
benchmarks, but v28 can boot in 1 minute and after booting to GUI it consumes
just 36 MB of ram.

Another advantage is that ubifs can do mmap operations which means that apt-
get now works without hacks in /etc/fstab with tmpfs for /var/cache/apt.

For booting ubifs you need to flash patched qi [4]. You can find this qi in on
download page. It has also faster glamo timing which means that graphics
should be faster now.

I did some experimental work on QX - application for running X window
applications in qtmoko. Now QX has it's own window manager. It has now only
"hello world" features, but it can be improved later. Important thing is that
X apps can be better integrated in qtmoko and we now dont need matchbox+gtk
libs installed by default which saves ~8MB in rootfs.

You can still easily use old matchbox. Just use checkbox in application
settings.

Special thanks go to lindi for work on omhacks and kernel, JaMa for figuring
out how to use ubifs and thanks also to others that i forgot to mention.

I am sorry that i didnt have time to fix your bug. Maybe for next release or
best to send your patches if you dont want to wait :)

Cheers

Radek

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/Experimental/
[2] http://qtmoko.org/