[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Oct 23 09:40:12 CEST 2010

Am 22.10.2010 um 19:17 schrieb Gennady Kupava:

> В Птн, 22/10/2010 в 05:36 -0700, RANJAN пишет:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recommendations for better hardware on Openmoko.
>>
>> 1)A 600 Mhz processor is minimally required to run the OS at usable
>> speeds.An 800 Mhz processor would be good across all OSes.A 1Ghz
>> processor would be too costly
>
> Hi, Ranjan.
>
> I just want to say that memory subsystem speed is much more important
> for speed than cpu speed.
>
> While testing freerunner, i've found that performance of system
> primitives of 500/83 CPU is similar to 400/100. So, really it is much
> more important to have fast memory subsystem. So, for example, 600/100
> will be really not so far from to freerunner's at 440/110.
>
> Memory subsystem speed become extremly important if CPU lack of L2
> cache. What is cache(s) size(s) of GTA04's CPU?

It comes with a OMAP3530 [1]:

ARM CortexTM-A8 Memory Architecture:
–	16K-Byte Instruction Cache (4-Way Set-Associative)
–	16K-Byte Data Cache (4-Way Set-Associative)
–	256K-Byte L2 Cache
•	112K-Byte ROM
•	64K-Byte Shared SRAM

If you want to start to experiment with this CPU today (and not wait
for the GTA04), I suggest to get a BeagleBoard + our Hybrid Board
(Touch-Display + GPS).

The perceived speed (not a scientific measurement) is factor 10 faster.

Best regards,
Nikolaus

[1]: http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/omap3530.pdf