[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 23 15:40:04 CEST 2010

On Friday 22 October 2010, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 22.10.2010 um 02:17 schrieb Al Johnson:
> >> <snip>

> >> Unfortunately, that's not quite good enough (different units).
> >> 0.01 inches = 0.254 mm, which is 2.54 times the required size:

> >> 0.1 mm is approximately 0.0039 inches.
> >>
> >> I have a question, though - is this precision required for making *any*
> >> well-working case design (due to the electronics etc.), or is it just
> >> for making more of the current case design?
> >>
> >> If it's the latter, it would be possible to create a new case design
> >> that would be easier to get manufactured...
> >
> > The electronics don't need much precision in the case design. Cases that
> > clip together firmly and securely do need precision though, and that's
> > true of the current design. An alternative design needing less precision
> > is possible, especially if we accept things being screwed together.
>
> Generally yes. If we sacrifice quality, ergonomics, and size, we can
> find simpler and less expensive case constructions.

I'm sure we can find alternative case construction methods that don't
sacrifice much in any of those departments. They just won't be methods used in
the mass market because they don't scale up to those production volumes, just
as their methods don't scale down to ours. The pcb might need some design
elements suited to a different method of mounting than the current 'clip it
into the injection moulding' variety, but this is for future generations not
the current pcb.

> One aspect to keep in mind for precision are the push-buttons (AUX and
> Power). The buttons [1] are specified for a "Travel 0.3 mm +0.1 –0.2 mm".
> I.e. if we don't want that the buttons get stuck we come to this 0.1mm
> precision. We have experienced the same with the PCB design where the
> position of the buttons must be within these 0.1mm...

That doesn't mean the case needs that tolerance though. It just means the end
of the actuator needs to stick over the edge of the pcb by the right amount to
be operable. The external button can be lightly spring to take up the
tolerance, or rest slightly clear of the button actuator. Alternative switch
types are an option for future designs, including a change to capacitive
sensors as provided for by the v2 nav board.

> The same is with mounting the display. If that is not precise enough, touch
> operation will be deteriorated.

Can you elaborate? There may be ways around this one too.

> So if we reduce precision of the case production process, the buttons
> become larger and finally, the phone is more a brick than a handheld phone
> :)
>
> Personally, I am in favour of high-end high-quality design (like the
> iPhone) even if it costs money. But it should never cost freedom and
> independence...

high quality design doesn't have to be expensive to manufacture. I suspect
something attractive could be made in low volume at a reasonable price using
laser cut plastics. I'll try to ask the local cutters about their precision
and cut thickness in different materials.