[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Oct 26 12:14:43 CEST 2010

Am 26.10.2010 um 10:58 schrieb Patryk Benderz:

> [cut]
>> To say more of the price, it is necessary to have the design available.
> This question you asked Boudewijn, is very important.
> 	Nikolaus, do you have some design available for preview? If so, I could
> also make a research in Poland, how much would it cost?

	http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/CAD_models

This is what I use for asking for quotes (the Neo 1973 case separated into the important parts):

	http://download.goldelico.com/ombeagle/images/Neo1973.step.zip

BTW:

I just come back from another plastics manufacturing company. They can produce a case
by milling and glueing plastic plates. It would come to approx. 50 EUR.
But is much larger (wall thickness 10 mm, slice thickness 3mm) and needs modifications
to the whole construction. Personaly I would dislike this as a "Smartphone" (compared to a
Nokia/Palm/HTC/Apple/Samsung) and we won't get many friends...

And I discussed with them about laser cutting. Their opinion: can be used only
for engraving into acrylic parts and cutting a general shape. But not for fine grained
cuts. The laser burns the plastics until the color changes.

He mentioned another method for injection moulds: using aluminium for vaccum injection moulds.
They are not that expensive as real steel high-pressure moulds. But you can make only 50-100 parts
before the mould must be replaced. Steel moulds cost multiples of 10000 EUR but can be used
for up to 100k units.

> Could you estimate how many units do you want to produce?

Well, that depends on the price and we are back in the Hysteron Proteron.

So let's ask to all here on this list:

How many new cases would you and your friends buy if it costs:
* 20 EUR
* 50 EUR
* 100 EUR
* 200 EUR