[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Oct 26 17:50:43 CEST 2010

Hi Ed, hi Boudewijn,
let me combine your thoughts...

Am 26.10.2010 um 17:28 schrieb Ed Kapitein:

> On 10/26/2010 05:05 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> I think all your points are valid, it would be just a start to get the
> phone out to the "public"
> And perhpaps a part of the price could be used to get the
> parts/equipment to make a custom case.
> I took a look at my old htc magican and the screen dimensions are the
> same as the FR.
> The "photo" button is almost at the same location as the AUX button.
> The power button is somewhere else though.
> a cover cost aprox 22 dollar at [1] and perhpas less if you order a 100
> or so.
>
> It wouldn't be a perfect sollution, but it might be a step on the road.

Suddenly it became obvious...

There is an open phone where approx. 18000 cases have been sold.

It is called "Neo Freerunner" (and 3000 thereof are Neo 1973).
So there are nice cases out there. Well, they lack some features,
but other cases aren't perfect either.

So why get a different one, when most of us already have one :)

And those who don't have one yet could get a used Freerunner. So
we could organize to collect all those unused Freerunners to get
a new home. And make the GTA04 just a motherboard upgrade.

This would reduce the pressure to produce a new plastics case...

Nevertheless, we should continue to work on a really new (and
different) case.

Nikolaus