Openmoko on Wikipedia

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Fri Oct 29 12:39:42 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
<GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-10-28 at 10:27 +0200, Eric Ehlers wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I added a new section (2.5) to the Openmoko page on wikipedia in an
> > attempt to reflect the latest status of the project:
> >
> >      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openmoko
> I also think that the history is a bit short, but I don't know enough to
> complete it.
> For instance, I think it was the first commercial free phone. but I
> don't know when exactly the gta01 and gta02 were commercialized.
> I also wonder if it's the first commercial phone(or not) that permitted
> the installation of native applications(I wonder if the app store for
> the iphone came before or after the openmoko)
> It would be nice to have more info, because else it would be
> forgetten...

HI Denis

We publicly announced the Neo 1973 on November 7th, 2006 at the Open
Source in Mobile conference. We expected to ship before the end of the
year, but experienced serious delays getting it into production. The
first units were shipped to developers in February of 2007. With our
online sales starting in July 2007. This was a limited run and we sold
out in a few days.

Wikipedia says that Apple announced their iPhone on  January 9, 2007.
And starting selling on June 29, 2007.

Here's an article written shortly after our announcement:

  http://gizmodo.com/229243/openmoko-smartphone-did-they-have-a-time-machine-or-what

Hope that helps. And thanks for documenting this!

Sean