Backup "batteries" installed

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Fri Oct 29 19:05:42 CEST 2010

Hello,

I finished installing capacitors as replacements for the dead backup
batteries in my Freerunners today at lunch.  They seem to be working,
though I've only tried removing the main battery for under a minute so
far.  Someone on the GTA-02-core list said a 220uf capacitor would power
the RTC for 2 minutes.  If that is correct, the .07f caps I used should
work for about 10 hours.

The parts I got from digikey weren't an exact fit, but I was able to
make them work.

Be sure to wear safety glasses if you try this, I had one of the old
batteries explode when I was removing it.

Pictures: http://jeepingben.homelinux.net/index.php?level=album&id=20

Ben