Freerunner - small and fast distribution only for GPS

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at
Wed Sep 1 16:32:03 CEST 2010

On 28. aug. 2010 00:33, Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:
> Carsten Gerlach<daswaldhorn at>  writes:
>> does someone know a small distribution which is only made for GPS usage? For
> I don't really see the point in having a yet another
> distribution. Just take an existing distribution and configure it to
> fit this task. Optionally contribute back some new packages.
> Configuring a system for GPS-only use is an interesting challenge.
> 1) The filesystem probably should be read-only so that you can turn
> the power off at any time, right?

Set it up so you suspend it, instead of turning off. Unsuspend
is much faster than boot.

I wonder: For such a simple setup, could unsuspend be used
instead of booting? I.e. if you lost power, you unsuspend into some
saved image, instead of waiting for a cold boot.

> 2) The only volatile part of the filesystem would then be the gps
> tracks?

To be completely power-proof, use a synchronously mounted sdcard. Slow
fs, but gps logging is low volume anyway.

Helge Hafting