qtmoko v26 bluetooth headset

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Sun Sep 19 00:26:24 CEST 2010

Well I have played with the BT operations on qtmoko and here are my results...

1. With a plantronics headset once paired, it will work if you tell it to connect as a headset, the
buttons work, and audio is ok. However when the bluetooth headset is subsequently turned on or comes
in range of the FR, it seems to connect briefly automatically then disconnect, and you have to go in
and connect as headset again from the UI. If you connect as handsfree the buttons no longer work for
hangup and accept calls.

2. The Bluetooth is very flaky, while testing I had it lock up on me, or the bluetooth UI just would
not come up without a reboot.

3. With one of my handsfree devices (the VR3 car speakerphone) if I connect as handsfree device, it
actually works very well, the buttons accept and reject calls, and the incoming number shows on the
devices LCD. This is surprising as the qt implementation of the handsfree profile looks incomplete,
but I may be looking in the wrong place.

4. With my preferred device the Motorola T505 handsfree device, it has trouble connecting on
occasions. If connecting as a handsfree device, the devices buttons do not accept or hangup a call,
and the incoming number is not detected. But it does seem to work, although not in a usable way.
If I try to connect as a headset it does not seem to work at all.

Conclusions are that the system needs to be made more sturdy (maybe upgrade to bluez4, which would
be a lot of work). The Handsfree profile code needs to be looked at closely and made to work with
more devices.

We need to make it automatically connect to a preferred device when in range with the preferred
profile (headset or handsfree), having to go to the UI to connect everytime is not very usable.

However I am impressed with how far Radek has got with this so far, especially as he doesn't use BT
much :)

I'll see if I can fix some of these issues, time permitting.

(Special thanks to Paul Fertser for helping me out on IRC last night, it really helped to get me
started on this).

Thanks
Jim

--