[QtMoko v26] online via GPRS

Alex Samorukov ml at os2.kiev.ua
Sun Sep 19 02:29:37 CEST 2010

On 09/18/2010 06:40 PM, Marcel Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried QtMoko in it's latest incarnation as the changelog said the GPRS-
> handling got improved :-) . I stumbled upon the following things:

It was a minor fix with adding +++ to the chat script. Not too much, but
helps in some cases.
> * In the chat file there is a " missing at the end of the first line. So you
> always have to edit that file by hand after you opened the settings in the
> GUI.

Known problem, see Radek posts, fixed in git.
> * "on demand" does not seem to work. When I use NeronGPS and a map is missing,
> it seems as GPRS _tries_ to get online but that's all ;-)

Needs to be checked, but for me its very low priority.
> * Staying online over a longer period of time seems to lead to a complete
> failure of the GPRS-stack so that I have to reboot the Neo to be able to get
> online again.

Yes, it happens some time. You don`t need to reboot the NEO btw,
restarting qtmoko should help.
> * Choosing "always on" leads to the phone trying to get online after booting
> and then hangs on the QtMoko-startscreen (after entering the PIN) when it
> tries to get online.

I don`t think that "always on" is a good idea for qtmoko. First
generation GPRS and voice works very bad together. I`m recommending to
switch it off when not used.
> * Starting the phone without SIM does not work. After trying to switch to the
> GUI it just stays on a black screen. I tried that to prevent the phone going
> online.

Non gprs related :)
> * I meanwhile managed to immediately switch to the internet settings after
> rebooting the phone (hard-reset) and deactivate the GPRS-connection before
> QtMoko managed to get online.

Its very easy to do by removing chat script using SSH connection to the
phone.

P.S. I believe that some of the problem are related to openmoko
multiplexer, but a lot of them - to the ancient modem with first
generation gprs. I`m now trying to get qtmoko running with external
demuxer, to see if it will improve the situation.