dbus moving into kernel?

David Lanzendörfer david.lanzendoerfer at o2s.ch
Sat Sep 25 18:45:40 CEST 2010

>Looking at your numbers, we're talking about shaving `up to 43.8%' off
>of something that's already down in the singe-digit milliseconds range
>to start with: in the best case above, it goes from 6.3 ms per query
>to 3.5 ms per query; in the worse cases, it goes from 6.5 ms down to
>5.2 ms. In your last test with Adrien's tool, the 27.29% improvement
>is from 1.7 ms to 1.2 ms.
waah? dbus in kernel space?
well we could really try to make the system-bus more "system" ;-)

>Is D-Bus actually enough of a bottleneck in, say, the FSO or SHR designs
>that we should expect to accumulate enough of these ~2-ms reductions
>quickly enough for them to actually become noticeable? An improvement of
>`2 ms per' can be worthwhile if it adds up quickly enough--but does it?
>How long does it take, under normal operating conditions, before even
>50 D-Bus calls are made (a total of 0.1 seconds of accumulated savings)?
Hmm. Well, its really something making the system slower.
But would the change to kdbus really make SHR/FSO that faster?
... but its worth a try...

>I don't know the answers to these questions, so they're not rhetorical :)
There are empiric facts needed... Indeed

regards
	leviathan