GSM Firmware Flashed, now UBIFS problem and Kernel Panic

Raphael Wimmer raphael.wimmer at ifi.lmu.de
Thu Apr 14 11:21:28 CEST 2011

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:05:38 +0200, Thomas Franck <thomas.franck at gmx.com>
wrote:
[...]
> ---8<----------------8<-------------
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_read_node: bad node type (255 but expected 6)
> UBIFS error (pid 1): ubifs_Read_node: bad node at LEB 0:0
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(0,0)
> ---8<----------------8<-------------
[...]

> Any ideas on this problem? I there any way to repair that FS?

I had the same probem when upgrading QtMoko a few days ago. Regardless of
what fs image I flashed, I would get these error messages.

Completely erasing the NAND allowed me to re-install without problems. Of
course, it means that your data will be gone. I did not find an easier
solution, and actually had no important data on the phone.
I followed more or less the steps for clearing bad blocks [1] and threw in
an erase command somewhere. Unfortunately, I do not remember the details.
The NOR bootloader offers a "help" command, however.

If there is a better solution that preserves the FS, I would be happy to
learn about it.

Raphael

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/NAND_bad_blocks#Clearing_BadBlocks