ROS on Freerunner

Neil Jerram neiljerram at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:47:54 CEST 2011

On 20 April 2011 10:12, Jan Tuennermann
<tuennermann at get.uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> Hi Neil, hi Boudewijn,
>
> thanks for the suggestions. I understand that there are probably more
> usefull ways to get GPS info out of the Moko. Right now I'm trying it in the
> context of creating a complete ROS integration, so that all the phone's
> sensors will publish their information as ROS messages.

Understood.  All I meant was that if you have any difficulty getting
at the basic GPS info (in order to publish it as ROS), we can help
with that.

> Did the GPRS connection prove reliable enough for this?

In my experience, sadly no.  I've regularly seen problems at all
levels, including
- GPRS connection doesn't come up (especially - but not only - if
after terminating a previous connection)
- connection comes up but routing table hasn't been updated so as to
route over it
- connection up and routing correct, but /etc/resolv.conf is wrong so
DNS doesn't work
- connection, routing and DNS all look good, but for some reason data
still doesn't get anywhere (or come back).

One known underlying problem here is that the modem crashes if the
outgoing data rate is too high.  But I imagine that that is relatively
rare in practice, so probably there are other underlying problems.

Regards,
        Neil