Article: What happened to real open source phones?

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Sat Apr 23 09:31:03 CEST 2011

dmatthews,

On 2011-04-23 17:12, dmatthews.org wrote:

>> I tried it but then I can't get a USB connection to 192.168.0.202 .
>> . which I need for x11vnc etc . .
>>
> I'm finding that is problematical with the stable v35 kernel also;
> the only way I can make the desktop recognize a usb0 is by rebooting
> it with the phone already connected.

That definitely does not work for me on uImage.bin-2.6.37-qtmoko - I can
watch /var/log/messages on my desktop and there is no sign of detecting
the USB connection . .

> That is not reliable either, sometimes I have to reboot the desktop
> several times. Since I switched from ubuntu lucid to squeeze (on the
> desktop) around the same time as going from v26 to v34/35 on the
> phone, I'm not 100% on which one has the problem :)

v35 (and v34) is quite reliable for me except for a minor glitch -
immediately after rebooting, I can make a ssh connection but then it
almost always hangs after a few seconds.  If I reconnect again, it then
lasts indefinitely (unless the FR goes into standby mode - which it does
sometimes when it shouldn't - ie all the power settings are "off" for
"plugged in".

Regards,

Phil.
--