Broken Freerunner - repairable?

Ed Kapitein ed at kapitein.org
Wed Aug 3 19:26:04 CEST 2011

On 08/03/2011 07:04 PM, omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last week I was unfortunate enough to have my Freerunner submerged in a lake for a short moment. While I took out the battery immediately, it doesn't quite work any more.
> It spent about 10 secs underwater, and after a few days of drying, it seems to boot properly both from NAND menu and plain power-button method.
>
> The problem is, the screen goes gradually white at some points during boot (but not on the SHR-Today screen, where the screen shows distorted copies of the screen). I tried reflashing a newer SHR version, but apparently the drawing methods are still the same.
>
> There's a video of the boot process here: http://porcupinefactory.org/data/brokenFR.avi (5 MB).
> After the video ends, the screen goes white again. It doesn't show NAND boot menu which works fine.
>
> Can anyone point me to which replaceable part may be broken? Is it the whole screen module that needs to be replaced?
>
> Cheers,
> rhn

Hi Rhn,

It doesn't seem to be that broken, it boots, but it shows no splash screen.
Did you try to leave it on for 10/15 minutes and see what happens?
The freerunner has three (?) splash screens, did you try to reflash them
as well?
[1]

I hope the FR will come to live again.

Kind regards,
Ed

PS
i was not able to reflash my splash screens, so if it doesn't work as
per wiki, don't dispair. if you are able to reflash the splash screen,
please correct the wiki if it was incorrect.

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Splash_screen