[QtMoko] How do you manage your free space ?

Dmitry Chistikov dd1email at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:13:14 CEST 2011

Sebastian Reinhardt, Aug. 05, 2011, 19:20 +0200:
> Am 05.08.2011 19:01, schrieb Xavier Cremaschi:
> To save some space, You can copy whole directory "/usr" to sd-card and
> create an symbolic link ("ln -s path-to-sd-card/usr /usr"). This can
> help a little, because many data of additional packages is stored to
> directory "/usr"........

First, I'd recommend using an fstab line instead of a symlink.
It's a more standard method of "joining" filesystems on different devices.
If one cannot allocate a separate partition for /usr for some reason,
it is advisable to use a bind mount (man mount, search for "bind mounts")
as an fstab line.

It should be checked, however, whether the system is able to boot
correctly, when configured in any of these ways (including one with
a symlink). According to FHS, it must be able to boot, but things
might have been broken accidentally. (Though I hope they are not.)

--
Dmitry Chistikov