No subject

Tue Aug 30 19:13:18 CEST 2011

known issues is not better then &quot;tested&quot; images and feeds from sh=
This was based on master branch of openembedded (today called OE-classic)<b=
so there was a lot of changes every day which sometimes caused unstable<br>
telephony or unusable UI. It was caused mostly because of very limited<br>
testing between building it on SHR buildhost and users getting it from<br>
shr-unstable feeds by opkg upgrade.<br>
But since July 2011 the development in OE-classic was slowing down becase<b=
everybody was moving to new layered structure of oe-core/meta-* (google<br>
yocto project for more info and fancy video).<br>
Originaly started in March 2011 as my experimental pet project to<br>
evaluate new layers like oe-core/meta-oe, but later all remaining SHR<br>
and FSO developers switched from shr-unstable to shr-core too and now<br>
we have very lively meta-smartphone repository with BSP layers for our<br>
beloved phones and layers for FSO, Aurora and for SHR as distribution.<br>
Some stuff from old shr-unstable is still missing and sometimes it&#39;s<br=
changing too fast for average end user who depends on working telephony.<br=
So today we&#39;ve decided to try something else. Instead of trying to<br>
maintain 3 different flavors of shr, we will try harder to provide best<br>
experience with shr-core and hopefully migrate all remaining users of<br>
shr-testing or shr-unstable to it soon (and then we can rename it to<br>
shr-stable :)).<br>
Starting with next build we won&#39;t push the build output directly to nor=
feeds, but only to &quot;staging&quot; feeds for testers which decide to tr=
y newer<br>
It works like this:<br>
1) <a href=3D"" target=3D"_blank">http=
://</a> nothing will be changed in this<br>
feed before it&#39;s tested by multiple users from staging feed.<br>
2) <a href=3D"" target=3D"_bl=
ank"></a> will contain one di=
for each major feature we want to test (like EFL or FSO upgrades) or someti=
just rotated weekly when there isn&#39;t something major or &quot;dangerous=
Each directory has by 3 digit name which identifies the feed (lets call it =
Each NNN directory has info.NNN file (and info -&gt; info.NNN symlink) wher=
e you can<br>
read on which revisions was this feed started, which commits were used duri=
populating this feed and when this feed gets closed (or lets say marked as =
for testers). You can also read how all our branches looked when it was clo=
Currently there is 001, 002 and latest.<br>
002 is still getting more stuff from live build, so it wasn&#39;t &quot;clo=
sed&quot; yet.<br>
When we decide that there is enough stuff for testing and the feature is<br=
complete, we&#39;ll close 002 and redirect build output to new 003.<br>
Latest link points to latest but _closed_ feed (so usually highest -1) whic=
is currently 001.<br>
If you want to help testing, then best way is to prepare 2nd partition (not=
one you&#39;re using for daily phone you depend on) and redirect default sh=
feeds to latest closed:<br>
sed -i &#39;s#shr-core#shr-core-staging/latest#g&#39; /etc/opkg/*-feed.conf=
or of course you can lock it to whatever number you want to test later<br>
ie: sed -i &#39;s#shr-core#shr-core-staging/007#g&#39; /etc/opkg/*-feed.con=
Also you should also download info file from selected directory so you&#39;=
ll know<br>
what you are testing after latest link is moved to newer feed.<br>
wget <a href=3D"" =
Then you can upgrade with opkg or reflash to newer image (if images are ava=
in staging area too).<br>
opkg update &amp;&amp; opkg upgrade<br>
Now you can test whatever is important for you (telephony, music, video, ..=
and if you&#39;re happy with new testing feed you should report it on our w=
there will be table for each NNN feed and you should say there if you&#39;r=
e fine with<br>
it moving to default public feed or if you have found some issues with it, =
number from <a href=3D"" target=3D"_b=
lank"></a> where you&#39;ve reported =
issues would be great and it would be fantastic if you also include in that=
which NNN feed was last known to work for you and first one where it was br=
That&#39;s where those info files you&#39;ve downloaded will get handy.<br>
After some not-yet-known number of testers which marks the NNN feed as work=
it will be rsynced to default feeds and everybody will get it.<br>
This whole mechanism is to provide most reliable default feeds while keepin=
g all<br>
development and of course developers in one SHR flavor.<br>
This is _only_ for runtime issues, it won&#39;t help with build issues whic=
h still<br>
need to be reported against master in our trac and we&#39;ll try to fix the=
m asap.<br>
3) There is also <a href=3D"" t=
arget=3D"_blank"></a> which poi=
nts to really<br>
&quot;live&quot; build and normally shouldn&#39;t be used (you can call opk=
g update when there is<br>
incomplete feed or whatever....), so please ignore this feed unless you rea=
know what you&#39;re doing.<br>
Ideas, comments and most importantly patches are very welcome.<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 JaMa on behalf of whole SHR team<br>
Martin &#39;JaMa&#39; Jansa =A0 =A0 jabber: <a href=3D"mailto:Martin.Jansa@=">Martin.Jansa at</a><br>
Openmoko community mailing list<br>