QtMoko UBIFS problem

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Mon Dec 19 00:11:27 CET 2011

On Mon, 19 Dec 2011 01:49:00 +0300
Ivan Matveev <imatveev13 at nm.ru> wrote:

> Hello,
> I can't boot QtMoko v36 fom NAND.
> Here is the screen of kernel panic.
> http://file.qip.ru/photo/NTlrXV05/uboot_gena2x-qtmoko_v36-kernel.html

This probably won't be too helpful since I'm not using ubifs but I've
experienced a couple of kernel panics recently. Albeit with far less
verbose results than yours, perhaps ubifs is more verbose(?), but I get
similar results as in not being able to mount the FS; jffs2 on
NAND(qtmoko v31) and ext3 on sd(AoF Froyo [ran sd card build]).

I blame that particular sd card for the AoF failure since it's the
original that shipped with the phone and this isn't the first time it's
given me trouble. I was at least able to backup what was left of the
data after attempting to repair the FS. It booted afterwards but too
much was missing to make it usable.

It's been quite frustrating dealing with the NAND failure as I loved
that install (~1yr old) and spent quite a bit of time tweaking it. So
far I can't figure out a way to copy what's left of the data I haven't
backed up. Even after using the latest dfu-util, compiled from source,
uploading from the phone to another machine is *sigh* still broken.

Using neocon via the U-boot prompt hasn't been too much help either
(great tool though). There apparently are bad blocks on NAND but only 4
if I recall correctly. I copied that session to another box so I can't
share the info from it right now. Perhaps you might fare better
checking your NAND partitions.

> Actually my problem started long time ago.
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2010-December/063993.html
> Some early UBI QtMoko versions
> worked OK. Then I tried SHR and Debian. After that no UBI image boots.
> Now my FR is a good platform to test UBIFS improvements :).
> Thanks for any ideas.
I apologize for not having any good advice. Perhaps Radek could see fit
to adding checksums for the releases/packages so we could at least rule
out bad files.

Good Luck,

Brian