Re: Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – Results

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Dec 28 12:06:23 CET 2011

Lukas,
many thanks for these insights!

Am 27.12.2011 um 14:24 schrieb Lukas Märdian:

> On 20.12.2011 16:44, Lukas Märdian wrote:
>> [Crossposting to openmoko-community, shr-user and gta04-owner MLs]
>>
>> Openmoko Community Survey 2011 – please take part!
>>  We decided to start a poll about which hardware and which software you
>>  use or are interested in these days. The results will help us to
>>  focus on relevant hard-/software.
>>  Please participate in the survey at Doodle and spread the word about
>>  it!
>>
>>  => http://www.doodle.com/sh6insnivnvqyz7h
>>

> The poll was open for one week now and we got votes from 73 people.
> Thanks to all those who participated and thus helped to decide on the
> future of the Om community.
>
> I decided to close the poll now and release the results to the
> mailinglists. To create a ranking I gave 1 point to a "YES" vote and 0.5
> points to a "(YES)" vote. The maximum (100%) is 73 points.
>
> RANKINGS:
> =========
> Software Side:
> 1. SHR                  48.5 points    (66%)
> 2. QtMoko               41.5 points    (57%)
> 3. Debian               26.5 points    (36%)
> 4. Other Distro         16.5 points    (23%)
>
> Hardware Side:
> 1. Om GTA02             65.0 points    (89%)
> 2. Goldelico GTA04      27.0 points    (37%)
> 3. Nokia N900           12.0 points    (16%)
> 4. Other Device         10.0 points    (14%)
> 5. Palm Pre (+variants)  7.0 points    (10%)
> 6. Om GTA01              5.0 points    ( 7%)
> 7. Google Nexus S        3.0 points    ( 4%)
>
> On the software side SHR is still the most popular distro, directly
> followed by QtMoko. Quiet a few people commented, that they intend to
> code their own software/GUI mostly to educated themselves.
>
> On the hardware side the Om GTA02 is the clear winner (which was
> expected). Surprisingly the Goldelico GTA04 is the 2nd most interesting
> device in this community, even though very few people have one, yet.

Well, I am not surprised that it is the 2nd most because it irons out many
weaknesses of the GTA02 design.

What more surprises me is that the figures are not higher. This indicates that
89-37 = 52% of the GTA02 owners are not (yet) interested in the GTA04 board.

This makes me think what the reasons are?

> Robin:
> Other distro is the android port for the freerunner for my wife's phone.
> with two kids to feed and just one income the gta04 is unfortunately
> about 75eur too expensive (compared to the early bird fee). may another
> poll to see how many people have an interest in really buying the gta04
> at certain fees would good.

Making a price poll is a good idea! We may learn how to better size
and define the price for the next group tour.

So please use this form to give your statement:

	http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Poll

I will publish the results when they become significant.

Nikolaus