some advertising

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Thu Jan 13 06:02:34 CET 2011

Gennady Kupava <gb at bsdmn.com> writes:

> В Втр, 11/01/2011 в 19:03 +0100, Sylvain Paré пишет:
> >  http://pare.sylvain.perso.sfr.fr/video/FRvsP2.ogg
>
> Look like slowness question finally closed :)

Speaking of advertisements..., I just happened to be rummaging through
some IM-logs looking for something else, and came across a response
that I gave a friend when he asked me if he should buy a FreeRunner,
back in early 2009:

    I guess what I'd say about the FreeRunner at this point is,
    if you can see yourself doing some sort of project with it--
    like hacking on the phone-stack, or making some sort of SMS-autoresponder,
    or doing something with the GPS or accelerometers (and there are
    all sorts of cool things you can do with them--some people are using
    FreeRunners to do things like autopilot autonomous boats), then
    it's one of the best, most fun, constructive toys since Lego
    or Erector Set. And for only $300, it's on par with something
    like Lego Mindstorms.

    But if you just want a phone that happens to run Linux, but all of
    that opportunity doesn't actually mean much to you, $300 is
    probably a tough sell [just like Lego Mindstorms].

And, further:

    It /is/ really interesting developing software for the FreeRunner--
    partly because the UI requirements are just sometimes so different
    than on the desktop--the screen is so much smaller, and the resolution
    is so much higher (something like 200 DPI, as opposed to 96 DPI
    on the desktop), and there's only one `mouse button', and no scroll-wheel
    (like back in 1999 ;)), and text can be smaller because of the
    high-density display, but things that the user is supposed to
    be able to click need to be bigger because of the resolution-mismatch
    between the screen and the *finger*. The interaction-models I was using
    in the VisualID-editor on the desktop turned out to be completely
    unworkable on the FreeRunner, for example.

Take that as you may; to be compared to Lego Mindstorms or Erector Set
(niche markets as they may be) seems like high praise, to me.