GTA04 Wiki

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Jan 19 05:22:59 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:28:52 +1100 Philip Rhoades <phil at pricom.com.au> wrote:

> Neil,
>

> On 2011-01-19 08:25, NeilBrown wrote:
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:59:10 +1100 Philip Rhoades<phil at pricom.com.au>  wrote:
> >
> >> People,
> >>
> >> I want to know how it will compare to my GTA02 . . I want a bigger
> >> screen but the video shows about the same size device?
> >>

> > The GTA04 isn't a phone (at this stage at least).  It is a replacement
> > motherboard for the Openmoko Freerunner.  So you use the same case, the same
> > display, the same touchscreen, the same battery.  Only the motherboard and
> > the components on it will changed.
> >
> > I would love a bigger screen too, and no bevel around the screen, and a
> > thinner case and and and and...  But the chance of getting that as a truly
> > open device seems pretty slim at the moment.  So I'm happy to compromise and
> > get a GTA04 board to eventually put in my Freerunner case.
>

> OK, well then I guess I want a comparison feature for feature between
> the old and the new . . is GTA04 just to replace a dead GTA02 MB?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phil.

I suggest you read what is available at
   www.gta04.org
and
   wiki.gta04.org

GTA04 is an experiment.  It might not work (you are warned that when trying
to buy).  The software certainly doesn't work completely yet.  It may never
unless you contribute.
It has a faster processor, faster graphics, 3G phone capability and assorted
other bits and pieces.

It is an 'engineering component' for people who want to experiment and
explore.  One day it might be more than that, but today is not that day.

NeilBrown