[Community Updates] 2011-02-01 issue is out!
timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 18:23:20 CET 2011
Newest community update now available at
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Community_Updates/2011-02-01 and plain
text version below.
This issue was brought to you by:
( as usual, you can help out with the next issue at
Remember that when the date for the next issue arrives, feel free to
do this publishing and wrapping up instead of me.
Period 2010-12-01 to 2011-01-31
*** Hardware ***
In this issue there is a dedicated section to hardware. There has been
no such section in the Community Updates mainly because after the 2008
launch of Neo FreeRunner, there hasn't been continuation to the
Openmoko Inc's pioneering phone hardware with (mostly) CC-BY-SA
schematics, 100% free software stack and all the other freedom joy...
GTA04 is a project by the long time distributor and hw developer,
German company Golden Delicious. The name is loaned from Openmoko
project because of the spiritual continuation - GTA01 was the codename
for Neo1973, GTA02 was the Neo FreeRunner, and GTA03 was the canceled
successor product. Besides offering improved versions of Neo
FreeRunner (better battery life, better audio output), they've a
complete replacement board planned to fit an existing Neo FreeRunner
case and use the existing display.
The key details of GTA04 include among else:
* OMAP3530 ARMv7 CPU
* UMTS/3G (HSPA)
* USB 2.0 OTG
* WLAN, BT, FM transceiver
* Barometric Altimeter, Accelerometer, Compass, Gyroscope
* Optionally camera
Find your GTA04 information at the following addresses:
* http://www.gta04.org/ - technical: u-boot, kernel, Debian...
* http://www.handheld-linux.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04 - shopping page
- the early adopter program, although already finished
* gta04-owner mailing list founded, although occasionally you will
find news also from the openmoko-community list among else; join the
list at http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/
* First engineering sample (GTA04A2) is working in PDA mode
(U-Boot in NAND Flash)
* GTA04A3 is getting final PCB layout fine tuning
* UMTS (3G) modules have arrived. And GTA04 likely to have 512 MB
RAM, 512 MB NAND Flash and 1GHz DM3730 CPU.
Visit the FOSDEM in Brussels, Belgium next weekend (5th/6th of
February, 2011) to see GTA04 in action and discuss about it! See
http://fosdem.org/2011/ , http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FOSDEM_2011 ,
*** Distributions ***
Distributions lists releases and other significant updates in
distributions that have some support for the Openmoko devices.
Debian is a universal operating system used on many embedded devices,
servers and home computers. Using Debian on the FreeRunner gives
access to the huge army of software packaged in the Debian
repositories, already compiled for the Neo's ARM(v4) processor.
Moreover, one can build one's own source files for programs without
having to learn the OpenEmbedded way. For an existing Debian/Ubuntu
user, choosing Debian for Neo FreeRunner makes phone a very familiar,
trustworthy and flexible place to hack in.
* Third Openmoko specific Linux 2.6.34 kernel is available. Highlights:
o Merge from qtmoko-v31 (18.104.22.168 stable patches, GPS
suspend patch, resume reason patch)
o Disable sysrq, unneededEXT4 support, UbiFS support
o Configuration wishlist items: NFSv4, XATTR for EXT*,
o Caveats: 1) No updated fso-config-gta02 yet in Debian, get
your state files from eg. http://iki.fi/tjyrinki/moko/2.6.34/ 2) X.Org
eats all the CPU unless you disable AutoAddDevices or remove extra
/dev/input files, 3) Sys paths have changed, so you most probably want
to add "om gsm power 1" to /etc/rc.local (and install newest omhacks
from pkg-fso if you already haven't)
* Debian 6.0 is nearing completion! Planned release date is the
weekend of FOSDEM, ie. 5/6th of February, 2011. For Neo FreeRunner,
the Debian 6.0 status is the following:
o No Openmoko support in the Debian kernel yet, you need to
install one from pkg-fso repository:
o Otherwise you could survive with official, released Debian
packages, but you are probably interested...
+ Newer versions of fso-config-gta02, fso-frameworkd
and omhacks in pkg-fso
+ E17 wasn't released on time for Debian 6.0, so you
need to get it from unstable (sid) repositories, or after the Debian
6.0 release from testing (wheezy in case of 7.0) to get for example
Zhone software working
* Omhacks has seen updates to work on 2.6.37 kernel
* Mokomaze sources were cleaned of non-free files
QtMoko [v30], [v31]
Qtmoko is a Debian + qtopia based distribution for FreeRunner. v30 is
a minor update, the changelog is very short:
* fixed headset jack detection
* Danish translations (Ole Carlsen)
* GPRS fix (Timo Juhani Lindfors)
* battery_platform for dumb batteries as module
* force GPS power up on resume (Gennady Kupava)
v31 is a bigger update:
* First stable release using the 2.6.34 kernel
* fixed invisible call button in finximod theme (Joif)
* translated to French (Gregoire Juge)
* updated Danish translation (Ole Carlsen)
* better layout in docked keyboard
* commented completion strip in docked keyboard
* VT not switch to graphics which fixes X hang in VT_WAITACTIVE (Gennady+Me)
* fix QX crash after pause/resume
* using openssh-server instead of dropbear again
SHR-testing RC1 & RC2
The image is based on the 2010.12 release of OpenEmbedded and has
latest versions of E, SHR and FSO apps. Since last testing a lot has
* Switch to illume2 as illume(1) isn't maintained anymore
* Switch from ogsmd to much faster fsogsmd
* Switch to 2.6.34 kernel (without KMS because this causes some
problems with SD-cards for some SHR-u users)
* Everything faster ;)
* And much more i don't remember
RC2 added compared to RC1:
* Default feed is now the correct one.
* Fixed a bug in the GSM Gadget which caused a segfault of E
* There is a problem with the autostart of applications in E,
because of that the shr_elm_softkey is not always started.
* The wizard is only working if you wait until FSO is fully
started (When FSO is started the display started dimming). If you
don't want to wait that long you can exit the wizard with the "Exit"
button and do the configurations in shr-settings afterwards.
* All feed packages not in the full image.
* All day usage (so GPRS/GPS after several suspends)
Read the full announcement here:
*** General News ***
Most important and change making mails on the mailing lists, blogs
etc.. Coolest hacks, screenshots, themes etc..
* CELF are seeking embedded project proposals for 2011. Get paid
to work on OM/FSO/SHR stuff!!! Ideas thread:
* Neil Jerram experimented with a Calypso modem driver in oFono,
together with telepathy-ring and empathy, to try out FreeRunner's
modem with an entirely different stack than FreeSmartphone.Org!
*** Event News ***
* 2011-01-24 Mobile FOSS MiniConf at LCA2011 announced a call for
papers that closes on Friday 22nd October 2010. So submit something
about OpenMoko today!
* 2011-02-05/06 FOSDEM 2011. Visitors guide for Openmoko related
topics started, http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/FOSDEM_2011
More information about the community