[debian] cannot bootstrap libc6

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 07:51:35 CEST 2011

2011/7/1 Dmitry Chistikov <dd1email at gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to install Debian on Openmoko Freerunner and have encountered
> the following problem. Both cdebootstrap and debootstrap fail to install
> a basic Debian system (stage "debian" of install.sh). Packages are
> downloaded and extracted, but dpkg is refusing to install libc6:
> Does this mean that Debian sid (unstable) armel is broken at the moment?
> How can this problem be dealt with? Changing --force-depends to --force-all
> does not help.

I'm not an expert on the installer, but unfortunately it may mean so.

You can try to use stable repositories instead by modifying the
install.sh script - you just need to make sure that you then don't
specify any phone software like Zhone at the install time, since those
are only available with the E17 that is in unstable and not in the
latest Debian release. I've been meaning to try out if that'd work for
some time, but haven't got a suitable extra microsd card and time slot
to check it out.

Then if you get a minimal installation ongoing, it's much easier to
install more software and experiment in a bootable system. The
unstable anyway is in a shaky situation at the moment, as still the
Python E17 dependencies are not in so they are also not installable.

-Timo