Have I fried my freerunner?

John O'Hagan research at johnohagan.com
Fri Mar 4 01:27:44 CET 2011

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:16:54 +0000
>
> "John O'Hagan" <research at johnohagan.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After a couple of years of fairly trouble-free
> > qtmoko-FR use, I used a cheap in-car charger on a
> > recent trip. The charger died, and the FR itself
> > began exhibiting a number of odd behaviours such
> > as not coming back from suspend, indicating
> > charging status when it was not charging,
> > crashing, and after a couple of days, not booting
> > into qtmoko at all.
> >
> > Instead, I get an error like "debugfs dir creation
> > failed -19", then a Debian login prompt.
> > Unfortunately, I haven't been able to ssh into the
> > FR to investigate, as it doesn't show up on my
> > debian laptop as usbX or ethX, only as /dev/ACM0,
> > so I'm stuck as to how to get the USB networking
> > going.

[...]

> Woo, don't smells good.
> But I would try to reflash it with QtMoko once again. or with a
totally
> different distro such as Android. The secodn one has an
installer that
> verbose the output of the flashing progress. This way, you can
see if it
> fails to write on some clusters on the flash.
>
> Let us know the results !

Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused about what is going on
in my FR. The fact that I'm getting a Debian login prompt means it
is actually booting, right? So the problem must be in subsequent
stages of initialising Qtopia?

Because it's not showing up as /dev/ethX or /devusbX as I
mentioned, I haven't been able to re-flash it or even back it up
with neotool, which doesn't find the device. To be honest it's
been a long time since I flashed it because I've been updating
qtmoko using apt-get, so I may be doing it wrong. Any advice how
to ssh into the freerunner in theses circumstances?

Regards,

 John