Have I fried my freerunner?

John O'Hagan research at johnohagan.com
Wed Mar 9 07:58:41 CET 2011

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011, Chuck Norris wrote:
> 04.03.2011 06:27, John O'Hagan пишет:
> > On Tue, 1 Mar 2011, Thomas HOCEDEZ wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> >> Woo, don't smells good.
> >> But I would try to reflash it with QtMoko once again. or with
> >
> > totally
> >
> >> different distro such as Android. The secodn one has an
> >
> > installer that
> >
> >> verbose the output of the flashing progress. This way, you
can

> > see if it
> >
> >> fails to write on some clusters on the flash.
> >>
> >> Let us know the results !
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. I'm a little confused about what is
going on
> > in my FR. The fact that I'm getting a Debian login prompt
means it
> > is actually booting, right? So the problem must be in
subsequent
> > stages of initialising Qtopia?
> >
> > Because it's not showing up as /dev/ethX or /devusbX as I
> > mentioned, I haven't been able to re-flash it or even back it
up
> > with neotool, which doesn't find the device. To be honest it's
> > been a long time since I flashed it because I've been
updating
> > qtmoko using apt-get, so I may be doing it wrong. Any advice
how
> > to ssh into the freerunner in theses circumstances?

I needed to reflash both Qi and the rootfs to get a bootable
phone, but to no avail: although the reflashing went fine, the FR
will no longer charge, although the battery indicator showed
charging status. Both my batteries are now dead.

Looks like my poor FR took quite a beating from that cheap
charger.

Any advice how to diagnose/repair this?

Thanks.