QtMoko and FSO (was: qtmoko v33)

Gennady Kupava gb at bsdmn.com
Wed Mar 9 20:48:28 CET 2011

Hi,

I hope there is still some chances that Radek will change his dicision.

From my point of view where is no real need in FSO/qt gibrid, because of
following reasons:

1. qt stack has richer functionalily, better performance, and less bugs
than that FSO dbus/vala thing (don't throw rotten tomatoes to me plese)
2. qt has it's own resource management, FSO - it's own, rewriting qt one
to FSO one is worthless effort
3. where logs of significantly more useful, easier and non-destructive
goals to rich, i can suggest few:
3.1 switch back to X11. with new graphical subsystem performance this
will work great.
3.2 switch to newer qt versions
3.3 fix 100500 bugs left
3.4 add gta04 support <- most important
3.5 improve performance and usability
3.6 implement new features, like: 'geek' theme, sliding buttons in
answer screen

^^^ IMO this set can keep everyone busy for a while.

where is also no real benefit visible from switching to FSO. qtmoko will
become more complicated, more buggy, slower, harder to develop :(

I afraid i'll have to stay on non-FSO version forether. And certain,
this planned change worth more discussion. If someone wants FSO, better
to install it on debian or with SHR.

Gennady.