QtMoko v33 - More battery info and questions

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Mar 29 09:00:22 CEST 2011

Paul,

On 2011-03-27 01:42, Paul Fertser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Philip Rhoades<phil at pricom.com.au>  writes:
>> - Even with the "dumb" battery configuration, the battery charging
>> animated icon continues after USB (power) disconnection - should that
>> happen?
>
> Provide "uevent" files contents for both the battery driver and
> pcf50633-mbc drivers.

/sys/class/power_supply/battery/uevent

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=battery
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=3870000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=55
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=850000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=459000

/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-0/0-0073/pcf50633-mbc.0/uevent

DRIVER=pcf50633-mbc
MODALIAS=platform:pcf50633-mbc

/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-0/0-0073/pcf50633-mbc.0/power_supply/adapter/uevent

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=adapter
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Mains
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=0

/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-0/0-0073/pcf50633-mbc.0/power_supply/usb/uevent

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=usb
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=USB
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1

/sys/devices/platform/s3c2440-i2c/i2c-0/0-0073/pcf50633-mbc.0/power_supply/ac/uevent

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=ac
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Mains
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=0

>> - Using the methods above, both "bind" and "unbind" files exist in the
>> driver directory - shouldn't there be only one at any one time?  If
>> not, don't the files only need to be created once instead of
>> repeatedly each time the scripts/aliases are run?
>
> Those files are always present in the sysfs, kernel maintains them
> automatically for every driver.

Right (thanks to Neil Jerram for clarification on this as well).

>> - The discharge rate attached for an inactive phone (with a blanked
>> screen) with a new, fully charged battery is not very good (~10
>> hours)
>
> Keep in mind that the SoC was constantly running during that test, so
> this should be ok. Normal usage assumes you use suspend-to-ram when
> you do not actually interact with the device, that should give ~70
> (without #1024 fix) or ~140 (with it) hours of "standby time".

At the moment dim is set to 20s, display off to 50s and suspend is off -
are you saying that suspend should be set to 120s or something?  How
does that affect incoming calls?

Looking at this I realise that when the device is disconnected all the
dimming etc has stopped working even the values are set correctly . .

>> - Should the phone be shut down after the "dumb" battery is fully
>> charged?
>
> No, charging is the same for gta02 battery and the dumb one, it's safe
> and doesn't require manual intervention.

OK, good.

Thanks,

Phil.
--