About QtMoko future

Tiago Bortoletto Vaz tiago at debian.org
Wed May 11 23:23:59 CEST 2011

On Wed, 11 May 2011 21:06:01 +0300, Timo Jyrinki wrote
> 2011/5/9 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz>:
> > qtopia => qt extended => qt extended improved => QtMoko
> > From technical point of view QtMoko is using regular Qt as framework for
GUI,
> > networking and other nice features that Qt supports. Qt is just compiled
with
> > custom configure switches. We can upgrade Qt from upstream and receive new
Qt
> > features quite easily.
>
> Great to hear that! I obviously thought Qt Exte... QtMoko is more
> stuck in the Qt 4.4 time than it it is in reality. Sounds pretty
> great, maybe actually at some point QtMoko or some part of it could
> be pushed back to upstream as part of the ongoing improvements in
> the Open Governance model :) Especially if there is something that would
> help maintaining QtMoko in the longer term.

Btw, I've been thinking about integrating qtmoko to Debian. Perhaps as a
Debian Pure Blend, or even building single packages. I didn't go deeper yet,
but will try to share this ideia during Debconf. Actually, pabs mentioned it
once to me in some debian irc channel, so strictly speaking it's his idea :)
Had anyone here thought the same? It wouldn't change the current upstream
development model, so radek and qtmoko contributors don't need to worry.
Updating the system would be much easier for users having official Debian
packages for qtmoko.

Regards,

--
Tiago Bortoletto Vaz