Freerunner as a mobile gateway

Eric Smith es at fruitcom.com
Tue May 17 22:01:23 CEST 2011

Hi

I am considering using the Freerunner as a mobile gateway to track
GPS on a vehicle and to receive data from wireless sensors in the
vehicle and send the sensor data and GPS data through GPRS.

We may need to plug a customised wireless device into the freerunner
usb. An external GSM and GPS antenna will be used. The device will
have to run reliably and be robust for 8 to 12 weeks, so that means
a customised battery.

Power use efficiency means putting keeping the device in low-power
consumption mode for most of the time and waking every 30 minutes
(say) for polling and transmitting.

Has anyone implemented such a solution or has ideas about feasibility?

--
- Eric Smith