Dialling INTO a wireless broadband modem with OpenMoko

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Mon May 30 19:24:49 CEST 2011

Paul,

On 2011-05-28 14:49, Paul Fertser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 06:59:33AM +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>>>
>>> If CSD[1] is available from your provider, then you can do that,
>>> right. If not, all you can do is to write some smart enough script
>>> that would do something with the connection once it tears off (in
>>> fact, probably simply adding "persist" option to pppd will suffice).
>>
>> OK, I will check with VirginMobile (Australia) but if that doesn't work
>> I could switch to Telstra.  Are there some working scripts around to do
>> the PPP stuff?
>
> There's plenty of examples for using gprs/3g under GNU/Linux the
> "manual way".
>
> I assume you're already using pppd for establishing the connection
> from the remote system to some host in the internet that you
> control.

No - when I plug the dongle in, I just let NetworkManager find it and
set it up.  I haven't got it in front of me now, but I think I have to
type some sort of keyring password to allow the connection?

> I think simply adding "persist lcp-echo-failure 10
> lcp-echo-interval 5" options to its config (/etc/ppp/options or
> /etc/ppp/peers/<yourpppdscript>  or some other way specific to how you
> start pppd) should be enough.

I want to make the connection from the other direction - from my normal
F14 desktop TO the remote Virgin mobile broadband dongle F14 machine.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades