Sharing literki work

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Mon Oct 17 17:49:21 CEST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 17:03:56 +0200, Michał Brzozowski wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Neil Jerram
> <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
>>
>> Me too.  Its code is nicely organised and easy to read and modify.
>>  I like the transparent overlay approach, and its target of being
>> finger-usable, and the hide/show control by swiping.  And the touchpad
>> idea...
>
> I'm glad to hear it!

Hi Michał, thanks for commenting on this thread.

> What setup do you have?

OpenBox at the moment; but I can change if something else is better.

> I used IceWM, and I remember hacking it to put
> windows with override_redirect bit on the top.

You mean you had to change IceWM's code for this?

That wouldn't surprise me, because I think override_redirect just means
"don't decorate me and don't mess with my size or position".  I don't
think it normally implies being "always on top".

> That gives the user
> total control over hiding the keyboard. Some WMs seem to respect this
> bit, and it maybe can be considered a bug if the don't.

I doubt it can be considered a bug.  It seems to me that a WM needs to
take specific action in order to implement "always on top" for a window,
and the (normal) overall sense of override_redirect is more "WM, please
just leave me alone".

Regards,
         Neil