[GTA04] When is the next and more powerful openmoko releasing

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 14:41:09 CEST 2011

On Friday 21 October 2011, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Hi Wolfgang,
>
> Am 18.10.2011 um 04:00 schrieb Wolfgang Spraul:
> > Ranjit,
> > hey, thanks for noticing :-)
> >
> >> Happen to see the case of Milkymist one[1], it is a transparent
> >> material and would prefer GTA04 embedded in case like that, with full
> >> view of itsy bitsy circuits and chips, don't know how feasible is it.
> >> [1] http://milkymist.org/mmone.html
> >
> > That case was designed and manufactured by fantastic Raumfahrtagentur
> > in Berlin
> > http://raumfahrtagentur.org/
> >
> > roh from Raumfahrtagentur used QCad for design and laser cutting, the
> > original .dxf files are freely licensed and published
> > https://github.com/milkymist/extras-m1/blob/master/cad/protocase_v8_laser
> > .dxf
> >
> > QCad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qcad
> >
> > There are many details that still need improvement, mechanical work
> > is labor intensive :-) Screws, spacers, feet, etc. In the later
> > versions we used dichlormethane for gluing the buttons, the entire
> > button design can probably be improved as well.
>
> thank you for pointing to these materials.
>
> Maybe someone can pick it up to make a new GTA case...
> Or someone living in Berlin can visit raumfahrtagentur and
> discuss these ideas.
>
> What I wonder is if acrylic materials are easily
> handled for rounded forms and snap-fits etc.
> And what the wall-thickness becomes.

Acrylic is too brittle for snap fits, but you can laser cut other plastics
that are suitable like ABS. You need to heat acrylic to bend into curves (IIRC
someone used that method to make a moko handlebar mount). You can bend thin
ABS sheet and hold it in place. As a general guide you don't want to cut
details thinner than the sheet you're cutting as they tend to distort. There's
a reasonable guide here:

http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J24/4