Nokia N9 and Meego

Federico Lorenzi florenzi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 14:22:44 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:11 PM, Xavier Cremaschi
<omega.xavier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> is there anyone here following the Nokia N9, the new Nokia's phone with
> Meego ? What exactly is free-as-in-speech in this one ?

While not exactly the N9, I have the developer edition, the Nokia N950.

It's open-ish. It has a security framework and disallows all sorts of
stuff (root is limited, etc), but Nokia do allow you to flash your own
custom kernel, as well as the community edition of Meego should you
wish. There's a whole thread going on about it at
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=4575

It's definitely more closed than the N900 out the box, however.

I've heard it's a similar situation on the N9.

Cheers,
Federico