Nokia N9 and Meego

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at
Tue Oct 25 09:53:56 CEST 2011

2011/10/24 Xavier Cremaschi <omega.xavier at>:
> is there anyone here following the Nokia N9, the new Nokia's phone with
> Meego ? What exactly is free-as-in-speech in this one ?

Well I touched the issue a bit in Debian's wiki:

The whole MeeGo Touch Framework, used also in Nemo/Mer user interface,
is the same as used on Nokia N9. Therefore, a lot / most of the N9's
stack until applications themselves is free (and developed in pretty
open projects unlike eg. Android) with the few exceptions like the
"swipe" gesture itself and a custom compositor based on the free
mcompositor (well, maybe the swipe is in there).

This is my current understanding. Some information may also be
tinkered at
Notably in other sections the so called "non-free" is relatively
small, although there are a few ogg things in there as well... and
most of the really non-free stuff is in the authentication token
needing nokia-binaries directory.