[Debian] Preinstalled minimal image available for Neo FreeRunner

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 16:13:18 CEST 2011

Hi,

Just to let you know, that since I tested that install.sh [1] is
working now, I'm making available a snapshot of a minimal Debian
installation since I had a clean install anyway [2] - see file
"Debian_NeoFreeRunner_minimalrootfs_20110912.tar.xz". The only
additional thing that was done was apt-get install xorg omhacks before
I added those as being done by install.sh automatically.

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner
[2] http://people.debian.org/~timo/NeoFreeRunner/

It expects a single partition on the MicroSD card where the tar.xz is
unpacked and a Qi bootlader.

It is very much not functional as a phone out-of-the-box, because of
the ongoing FSO1->FSO2 transition. X however starts automatically and
SSH answers, and you may work your way from there, see [1] or even [3]
(although it doesn't contain information on how to enable FSO2 at this
moment when not everything new is yet in). When FSO2 is eventually in,
together with some UI that can use it, let's improve install.sh again
and maybe make a snapshot of a phone-working Debian unstable. I'm lazy
enough not to try to replicate from clean state what I've running on
my daily FreeRunner at the moment - it'd mean using install.sh but
with stable repositories instead of unstable to have FSO1 and phone
functionality, and then tweaking until all my little details work.
It's anyhow going to be a thing of the past with FSO2 and new UI
versions.

[3] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/User:TimoJyrinki

-Timo