Liberated Calypso docs found

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Sep 28 23:35:28 CEST 2011

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:

> * there was an abandoned port of nuttx, [...]

Before we can have any meaningful discourse on the relative merits of
various options, we first need to be on an equal footing.  Right now we
are not.  At the present moment there exist two massive inequalities in
the Openmoko community:

1. Certain long-time members of this community are holding possession of
   some things which newcomers like me have no way of obtaining.
   Specifically, the TSM30 source that used to be on SourceForge.  It is
   not fair for the old-timers to be sitting on that ware and not
   sharing with the newcomers.

2. I am quite certain that at least some ex-Om engineering employees
   have taken copies of the "real" Calypso FW semi-source home with them
   when their employment ended.  Please don't tell me they haven't,
   everybody does that.  Almost certainly in violation of their
   employment contract with FIC/Om - but again, *everybody* does that.
   (If someone feels like objecting to the last statement, I change it
   to almost everybody - there you have it.)  There is absolutely nothing
   to be ashamed of in that, and I admit to it publicly.  But the
   difference is that I share: if I have taken something home from a
   past employer, and someone else emails me and says s/he wants a copy
   of it, I readily share with that person.

For those of you out there who are sitting on a personal copy of the
Calypso fw source or semi-source (I *know* you are out there, very likely
right here on this mailing list), your non-sharing is morally wrong.  If
you are so obsessed about legalities, i.e., if you believe that it would
be illegal for me to have that ware, I am almost certain that it's just
as illegal for you to have it: your employment contract with FIC/Om
almost certainly did not allow you to take it home with you after you
are done.  So why not do the morally Right Thing and share with your
brothers and sisters?

If there is anyone out there reading this who accepts my moral argument,
but is afraid of getting caught, there are plenty of ways to remain
anonymous.  I never disclose the identify of anyone who contributes
stuff to my public archive.  And if you don't feel like trusting me in
that manner, there are plenty of ways you can do it such that I have no
idea of your identify either.  For example, you could email the ware to
msokolov2010 at gmail.com from some anonymous webmail account which you
access from a public Wifi hotspot a good distance away from where you
live.

> you could try to cross compile it for running it on the ARM samsung
> SOC...

I assume that running GSM Layer 1 on the Calypso, Layers 2&3 on the AP
would require that both the Calypso and the AP stay on continuously,
neither of them going into any kind of sleep mode, wouldn't it?  That
would not be practically usable.

> did you try already to make a call with it?

I have no hardware to try it on: my GTA02 from Golden Delicious has yet
to arrive, my existing ancient phone (Mot V66) uses a totally different
chipset, and I haven't yet got around to buying an old Calypso-based
phone from Ebay/etc.  (The latter is going to be made more difficult by
a lot of those phones being GSM 900/1800 only AFAICT.  The only coverage
I can get is GSM1900.)

MS