TSM30 source found!

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Thu Sep 29 20:57:09 CEST 2011

Patryk Benderz <Patryk.Benderz at esp.pl> wrote:

> Apart of legal aspects, why don't you just make it a torrent and let all
> who want to host it? This is very efficient way to spread big files over
> the net.

Learning curve: never worked with torrents and no time to learn right
now.

The ware is in the form of a single ISO image.  If there is anyone in
the general geographical area of Southern California (for me that's
anywhere from Los Angeles down to the Mexican border) who would like to
get a copy of this source immediately, I can meet you in person today or
tomorrow and hand you a CD-R written from the ISO.  That would be the
fastest way for me to pass this ware onto someone else; you can then
share it via a torrent or whatever other mechanism you are familiar with.

For a longer-term and more scalable solution I shall proceed with the
setup of my new FTP server: I really need to do that anyway, got a whole
bunch of goodies in off-line storage which need to be put online.

corey at bitworthy.net wrote:

> I'm similarly confused as to why he doesn't just send an email to
> the list pointing to the url of the website from which the file is
> already being hosted:

I have no idea whose server it is.  If it's a personal server belonging
to the person who has helped me, publishing its URL would be equivalent
to revealing that person's identity.  If that person does not wish to be
publicly known as a distributor of FW sources of uncertain legal status,
revealing his or her identity would be a big no-no: I ain't gonna do
that!

> All that talk of "Bad Guys" withholding
> information earlier... and now... you're witholding information and
> acting like some sort of middle-man to the source you wanted
> 'liberated' so badly.

The "Bad Guys" withhold information deliberately and indefinitely.  In
my case it is only a short temporary delay caused by the file having
turned out to be much bigger than I expected.  If the file size had been
on the order of a few MiB (the typical size of firmware source packages
in all of my previous experience), I would have put it up on the FTP
server on ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG immediately.  But it's much bigger, right
around 500 MiB, and I need some time to work out a suitable distribution
mechanism.

If the person who has given me the "secret" URL emails me and tells me
that s/he does not object to that URL being posted on the list, I will
promptly do so.  But I won't be able to do that otherwise, as the risk
of compromising the identity of a comrade would be too great.

MS