GTA02 fails to charge

Brian bneil at rochester.rr.com
Fri Sep 30 01:52:30 CEST 2011

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:50:33 -0500
Cristian Gómez <cristianpark at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a doubt about this because my FreeRunner only lasts 1 day
> charged and I want to use it more now, I read this thread and like
> Ivan, the first thing that comes to my mind is: new battery, do you
> know what models of batteries works fine with FreeRunner (let's say
> Nokia's 1100 or so)??
>
> Thanks in advance

You can use some of the common Nokia batteries with caveats.
Details can be found here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Battery_Questions_and_Answers#Hardware_capabilities

You'll need to use the dumb battery kernel module as well. Instructions
for that are on the same page. I've used BL-6C/5C/4C Nokia batteries
without problems but as the wiki suggests don't trust the capacity
when it starts getting low.

I get ~4-5 days out of a battery when the phone is sleeping and that's
with little to no usage and ~24-36hrs if I keep it awake without using
bt/gps/gprs/wifi. Currently using QtMoko v31 if memory serves me right.

> 2011/9/28 Ivan Matveev <imatveev13 at nm.ru>
>
> > On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:46:11 -0400
> > Phil Vandry <vandry at TZoNE.ORG> wrote:
> >
> > > I have 2 GTA02v6 Freerunners which don't charge their batteries
> > > anymore. The symptoms on both are the same, but it started
> > > happening on both phones in different locations and times. The
> > > battery state is "Charging" whether the phone is plugged in to a
> > > computer or wall charger, but the battery slowly goes down
> > > instead of charging.
> >
> > Had a similar problem. New battery helped.

If you have a compatible Nokia battery give one a shot and see if it
fares better. Before buying another battery you should also verify the
charge rate. I haven't experienced any issues charging off of usb ports
on laptops or desktops and using the original wallwart always works. I
do have a mobile charger (rocketfish model rf-rzr55) that only charges
@ 100mA which isn't enough to keep the battery from discharging. You can
force fast charge (500mA or 1000mA) for non "smart" usb connections.
Details here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Forcing_fast_charge_mode

I think the paths differ for more recent kernels so maybe someone on
the list has the correct paths to use and can update the wiki or post
to the list.

HTH and good luck!

Brian