Discussion: what are your dreams for the Openmoko Community

Nikita V. Youshchenko yoush at debian.org
Sat Apr 28 15:36:05 CEST 2012

> >> So what are your dreams with respect to open mobile handhelds?
> >> What would you like as future hardware? What to see in software
> >> distros? Anything else? What missing piece are you waiting for?
> >
> > If a solid open phone platform with up-to-date computing power and
> > connectivity features *and* *hardware* *keyboard* appears, I will
> > gladly contibute to software for this platform.
>
> Just wondering: what is "up-to-date computing power and connectivity
> features" for you?

This is something that changes over time.

Today it is something like ~1GHz CPU, 512M RAM, bluetooth, 3g and wifi.

In a couple of years situation will likely change.

Another interesting thing is battery life. N900, if almost idle (say, a 5
min usage session 3-5 times a day) could survive a week of wild life
without charger. Without suspending!

I know it hardly depends on software support, but hardware must at least
make it possible.

Nikita