[off-topic] smartphone alternatives?

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Tue Dec 18 07:08:49 CET 2012

On Monday, December 17, 2012 10:27:16 PM francesco.devita at mailoo.org wrote:

> Those of Brian are more or less my same words. The GTA02 completely
> satisfied me, it is my daily phone since three years and probably it
> will be still with me until it works. But battery and GSM issues, and
> other usury problems, are making it uncomfortable when I am away from
> home for an entire day, imagine when I have to travel.
> I can maybe buy a new GTA02 but it is understandable that I prefer a new
> hardware today.
> After those years of use I can say that I missed:
> - a bigger screen, maybe a capacitive one

Hi, quite offtopic, but since this thread is marked "off-topic" i guess it's
not problem :)

I have used N900 for some time and here is my conclusion. You need either big
capacitative display or small display and HW keyboard. Otherwise working with
phone is not very comfortable - because of small virtual keys or small
workspace.

Freerunner has small display and no HW keyboard. For SMS and some small work
it's ok, but on N900 i could develop - i have written parts of QtMoko on N900
in vim and the experience was very close to working on laptop.

My favourite phone would be GTA04 with HW keyboard with long standby maybe