GTA02 power death

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 09:55:53 CET 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 08:15:22AM +0000, Dmitry Shalnoff wrote:
> thank you very much for answer and all hints and links!

BTW, the bass rework looks very similar to what i was doing, i wonder
who did that :) too bad it looks like i didn't warn everyone strong
enough (though i did put a big fat warning on the rework page) when i
discovered the shield must be additionally insulated after the rework,
i apologise for that :/

> I successfully de-solder the inductor (quick testing shows that no
> resistors shorted around... as I hope)

Can you share the technique you used to desolder it?

> and found some analogues on farnell (same package and inductance),
> but I'm not pretty sure concerning the frequency and other
> parameters.

Taking a closer look at the schematics and the PCF50633 datasheet i
see that this inductor is part of the main step-up/step-down auto
converter with an output current as big as 1.1A. It works at 1.7MHz
frequency (the irc log i found appears to be unrelated). As far as i
can tell that's unrelated to the self-resonance frequency of the
inductor (that's always much higher for the modern parts). I'd get the
one with >1.1A rated current, and on 1.7MHz all of those having
self-resonant frequency of 50MHz should work decently. I do not
understand much in EE though so probably you'll want some quick advice
from those who really knows inductive step-up/down converters.

> And just one more question (maybe to late), I didn't remove LCD before
> de-soldering and now I'm slightly worry about possible damage of it.
> Visually it's ok. What is your opinion?

I never removed LCD too, and everything was fine. It's shielded from
the heat by the PCB itself, and i doubt you could have heated it up
too much.

Best of luck!

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com